Request Material





Athens, Georgia artifacts

Athens, Georgia artifacts

Descriptive Summary

Title: Athens, Georgia artifacts
Creator: Unknown
Inclusive Dates: 1840s-1920s
Language: English
Extent: 1 Linear Feet 1 box
Collection Number: ms1059
Repository: Hargrett Library

Collection Description

Scope and Content

The collection consists of ephemera and memorabilia related to Athens, Georgia. The collection includes: an acorn from the Spanish Oak at the Botanical Garden, developed by University of Georgia Professor Mathus Ward near Finley Street in Athens; gavel made from baluster of the Crawford W. Long House, Waddell Street, in Athens; badge celebrating the 47th Annual Session of the Georgia Grand Lodge, Knights of Pythias meeting in Athens 17-18 May 1916; green glass grape from lamp in the Costa building; wooden shingle from the roof of the present Garden Club of Georgia Headquarters, formerly Phi Mu House and home of Mary Lyndon, first dean of women at the University of Georgia.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Athens, Georgia artifacts, ms1059, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.


Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

Artifacts.
Badges.
Garden Club of Georgia -- Buildings
Gavels.
Glass lampshades -- Georgia -- Athens.
Green glass (bottle glass)
Knights of Pythias. Grand Lodge of Georgia
Long, Crawford Williamson -- Homes and haunts
Oak -- Georgia -- Athens -- History.
Shingle.

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
boxitem
11Acorn from the Spanish Oak at the Botanical Garden, developed by University of Georgia Professor Mathus Ward near Finley Street in Athens
 
12Gavel made from baluster of the Crawford W. Long House, Waddell Street, in Athens
 
13Badge celebrating the 47th Annual Session of the Georgia Grand Lodge, Knights of Pythias meeting in Athens, 1916 May 17-18
 
14Green glass grape from lamp in the Costa building
 
15Wooden shingle from the roof of the present Garden Club of Georgia Headquarters, formerly Phi Mu House and home of Mary Lyndon, first dean of women at the University of Georgia