Request Material

Trinity Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.) records

Trinity Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.) records

Descriptive Summary

Title: Trinity Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.) records
Creator: Trinity Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.)
Inclusive Dates: 1834-1974
Language(s): English
Extent: 20.8 Linear Feet 20 document boxes, 1 half box, 10 oversized boxes, 6 oversized folders
Collection Number: ms2543
Repository: Hargrett Library

Collection Description

Historical Note

Trinity Episcopal Church was established in Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia in 1834.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of minutes, church registers containing communicants, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and lists of families, vestry minutes, registers of church services, attendance and pledge records, financial records, choir notes, and materials relating to the church's history. The collection also contains the record book of St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.) and printed material including the proceedings of the Protestant Episcopal Church Diocese of Georgia (1846-1878, with gaps) and the Diocese of Atlanta (1907-1921, with gaps)

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Trinity Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.) records, ms2543, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.

Finding Aid Publication

Finding aid prepared on: 2009 July 31.

General Notes

Cataloged as part of the Georgia Archives and Manuscripts Automated Access Project: A Special Collections Gateway Program of the University Center in Georgia.

Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

Baptismal records -- Georgia.
Birth records.
Burial records.
Church records and registers -- Georgia.
Church records.
Columbus (Ga.)
Confirmation records -- Georgia -- Muscogee County.
Episcopal Church. Diocese of Atlanta
Episcopal Church. Diocese of Georgia
Marriage records.
Muscogee County (Ga.)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ga.)

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

11Reverend William Douglas Cairns, 1837-1850
a sermon preached by him June 4, 1837
12Reverend William Cunningham Hunter, 1871-1900
listing of events during his tenure
12Samuel Smith Harris (Bishop of Michigan, 1879), 1871
correspondence into his history/family
13Photographs - Bishop Harris, Bishop Scott, Mr. Hanks, and Reverend William Cunningham Hunter
14Very Reverend Samuel Alston Wragg, 1907-1932
some articles and notes about him, his children and grandchildren
14Reverend Harry G. Walker, 1935-1945
15Reverend Colin Campbell, 1946-1966
many articles, including work for the homeless boys' camp in Germany
15Reverend Norman Siefferman, 1966-1979
some articles
15Church without a minister - correspondence, 1980-1981
articles about some assistant rectors are also included
16Peabody Family-prominent early family, notes and articles
17Richard Finney, sexton-articles
17Personalities, 1937-1973
Trinity church members featured in various articles
17War-time Efforts of Trinity Church-World War II
18Memoranda of Johanne Lange (Miss)
includes several photographs of Johanne Lange, her school diary dated September 1891-February 1892, and a written outline of the Bible in drama form
19Memoranda of Johanne Lange (Miss)
notes on the Cozy Tea Room and history of Trinity Church
110Daisy Ticknor's writings
poems, she was the Educational Director during the mid-1950s
21Boar's Head Trinity Film
22General church history
23Reverend Colin Campbell's History of Trinity
rough drafts, notes
24Georgia Review-"Bishop Stephen Elliot and the Confederate Episcopal Church"
25Trinity Church bell history
26Paintings in Trinity Church-history
27Plans for stained glass windows
including uncovering of the cornerstone
29Blue prints of the church
includes original plans for St. Mary's Episcopal Church, Columbus, Georgia
210Building plans for church organ
211Sara Louise Wise estate papers-money used to rebuild the church organ
212History of the church, collected for 125th anniversary
31Individual records, A - H
32Individual records, I - Ri
33Individual records, Ro - Z
34Individual records, A - Z
35Individual records, A - Z
36Correspondence regarding individual records
These records contain church members' names, addresses, births, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and lists of family members primarily from about 1880 to 1945.
41Vestry minutes, 1940-1945
42Vestry minutes, 1946-1951
43Vestry minutes, 1955-1957
44Vestry minutes, 1957-1959
45Vestry minutes, 1967-1971
The vestry minutes include discussion of changes to the buildings/grounds owned by Trinity, including the parish house, all actions that affect the finances of the church are presented, and yearly reports by the choir, woman's auxillary and guilds, and church school are included. The Trinity Church constitution and by-laws and discriptions for the guilds are here.
46Guest register, 1955
Includes name, address, phone number; several from Fort Benning
47Guest register, 1960-1972
51General Accounts, 1937-1947
52General Accounts, 1948-1949
53General Accounts, 1948-1949
54Record of Salaries, 1949
Gross, withholding tax, net salaries for Richard Finney, Garnet Brunty, Reverend Colin R. Campbell, layworkers, organists and soloists
55General Accouts, 1979
56Taxes, 1979
57Trinity Parish School-Tax and Insurance Forms, 1951-1952
58Trinity Periodical Club
Includes articles from 1918-1925, correspondence between Miss Lange and Alberta Sauls, Diocese of Atlanta, and resignation of Miss Lange
59Deposit Record-Merchants and Mechanics Bank, 1946-1950
61Pledge records, 1947-1948
62Pledge records, A - J
63Pledge records, K - Y
64Contributor records, 1949
Records monies pledged for the church financial year by each member and the actual amounts returned
71Church School check book, 1944-1948
72Church School check book, 1948-1950
73Church School and Memorial fund, 1949-1950
74Memorial fund/Thank offering fund checking account records, 1949-1956
75Church School accounts, 1938-1946
76Church School accounts, 1946-1949
77Sunday School offering, 1945-1950
81Ledger-Altar Guild Accounts, 1904-1911
Names, dues paid, itemized receipts/expenditures
82Ledger-Altar Guild Reports, 1903-1910
Notes of meetings including lists of new members, resignation of Miss Lange in 1906
83Ledger-Altar Guild Reports, 1911
84Ledger-Altar Guild, 1912-1920
85Ledger-St. Anne's Guild, 1938-1944
Names, dues paid, itemized receipts/expenditures
86Ledger-Women's Guild, 1905-1920
All guilds report to women's guild, contains records regarding the Cozy Tea Room
87Ledger-Women of Trinity Episcopal Church, 1960-1969
Itemized receipts/expenditures, contains records about ballet and ballroom dance classes and the Boar's Head Festival
91Abstract of Title, 1909-1941
92Warranty Deeds
93Bond for Title-Virginia E. Garrett
Purchase of land in 1908
94Appraisal/Correspondence-Land at 1120 First Avenue
Life estate conveyed to Bessie Heuer
95Property papers-Wildwood Circle, Winchester Subdivision, and Wynnton Road
96Mortgage, loan, lease papers
97Gold bonds
98Gold bonds
99Gold bonds
101Choir notes, 1937-1939
102Choir notes, 1940
First annual attendance contest closes, transporation needs addressed
103Choir notes, 1941
104Choir notes, 1942
Dedication of the new organ, beginning of notes about soldiers
105Choir notes, 1943
Letters from soldiers copied on back of notes, frequent names over the next four years include Maj. Arthur P. Evans, Capt. George E. Bushong, Sgt. Carroll Wolford, PFC Richard Dabney, and Clarence W. Doane
106Choir notes, 1944
Many notes about/from soldiers during WWII
107Choir notes, 1945
Letter from Y. Y. Tsu, Bishop of Kunming, China, death of Rev. Harry G. Walker in May, choir performs on the radio
108Choir notes, 1946
109Choir notes, 1947
H. Wayne Patterson "President Pat" begins editing Choir notes
1010Choir notes, 1948
Church bulletins are included with the notes
111Choir notes, 1949
Firth "Grandpa" Lockwood reminisces about Trinity-August 9; WWII Army choir members name, addresses, and notes
112Choir notes, 1950
Letter by Max D. Dexter recounting early 1900s church members; newspaper clippings of people/events at Trinity
113Choir notes, 1951
Church choir photograph, labeled
114Choir notes, 1952
Choir goes to Glenville, Alambama in May; ordination of Martin Dewey Gable, Jr.
115Choir notes, 1953
Death of Very Reverend Samuel Alston Wragg
116Choir notes, 1954
Organist resigns, photo of Carl Fudge-interim organist
117Choir notes, 1955
Deaths of "President Pat's" wife, Isobel Patterson, and "Grandma" Lockwood
118Choir notes, 1956
Includes photos of some of the choir members
121Choir notes, 1957
Anne Coulter's car is stolen; Walter Sitarz's marriage announcement; 10 year editorship by "President Pat" (9 July)
122Choir notes, 1958
Death of Wallace Barber; ordination of Mr. Lorraine Bosch; beginnings of St. Thomas Church mentioned
123Choir notes, 1959
Building of St. Thomas Church (September 15)
124Choir notes, 1960
Beginning of plans to renovate the organ; air conditioning first installed
125Choir notes, 1961
News from WWII veterans and other prior members; Israel Chalmers returns; H. Wayne Patterson marries Mrs. Mary Willis Wheat
126Choir notes, 1962
Rev. Colin Campbell out sick; letter from Bob Lindsey in Korea; many weddings announced; renewed organ
127Choir notes, 1963
"Grandpa" Firth Lockwood dies (July)
128Choir notes, 1964
Four downtown churches combine services
129Choir notes, 1965
Bob Spiller sends greetings from Vietnam; church begins new addition
1210Choir notes, 1966
Bob Spiller (Maj. R. E. Spiller) sends greetings from Vietnam; choir photo (labeled) included
1211Choir notes, 1967
Bishop Claiborne comes for confirmations; death of Evelyn Smith
1212Choir notes, 1968
Assistant Rector Little leaves; Bruce Livengood resigns as choir director and Tommy Orr takes his place; several old-timers die including Col. Cecil L. Rutledge
131Choir notes, 1969
"President Pat" goes in the hospital; Cliff (VicePresident of the choir guild) and Lillie Woodhead leave the choir; choir photo (labeled)
132Choir notes, 1970
History of Trinity Choir in relation to the Springer Theater Co. presented; stained-glass window dedicated to "Grandpa" Firth Lockwood; choir photo (labeled)
133Choir notes, 1971
Florence C. Whitaker dies; Bishop Claiborne resigns; new organ dedicated; choir photo (labeled)
134Choir notes, 1972
H. Wayne "President Pat" Patterson resigns as president of Trinity Choir
135Choir notes, 1973
Picture of H. Wayne Patterson; death of Richard Finney, sexton; Mary Livengood returns
136Choir notes, 1974
Death of Annie Stevens Heard; "Choir Notes" goes on monthly schedule
137Trinity Church Choir photos, 1973
138Trinity Church music
List of songs for Easter, 1940 and list of songs for choir's Spring Festival
139H. Wayne Patterson's vacation at Point Vedre, 1946
diary of his vacation
1310Choir-miscellanous notes
H. Wayne Patterson resigns from the choir; letters regarding the death of "Grandpa" Firth Lockwood
141Choir Attendance Records, 1943-1952
142Choir Attendance Records, 1953-1962
143Choir Attendance Records, 1963-1972
The choir attendance records contain the names of all members each month for the year indicated. It shows if the member was present or absent for rehearsal, Sunday morning service and evening vespers. Occassionally the reason for the absence is given.
151Diocese of Georgia - Journal of the Convention, 1846 1848 1851 1852 1870
The Journal of the Convention contains the names of delegates elected to attend the convention and indicates if they were present or not. Following the Bishop's address are the reports of individual churches, then the Episcopal Church constitution as it stands.
151Diocese of Georgia - First Annual Council, 1864
Held at Trinity Church, Columbus, Georgia
151Address to Members and Friends, 1856
Plans to establish a university for training pastors in the Episcopal church
152Diocese of Georgia - Journal of the Convention, 1871-1878
153Diocese of Georgia - Journal of the Convention, 1879-1903
161Missions Pamphlets
Domestic and world missions opportunities, 1934
162Story of the Work of the Army and Navy Department of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew During the Great War, 1917-1919
J. Nelson Frierson of Trinity Church in pictured here and mention of the church's involvement with Camp Jackson
163Annual Report of the Board of Missions, 1915-1918
Reports from the domestic and foreign mission fields of the Episcopal church
164The Junior Annual of the Diocese of Atlanta, 1915-1917
Contains essays/stories written by young girls in the Diocese of Georgia. Those from Trinity Church include Louise Alston Wragg (1915, 1916), Francis Marcum (1917) and Katherine Lind (1917).
165Tradition and Tomorrow: Diocese of Atlanta Diocesan Development Fund
Presented to establish a fund for missions, training of leaders, renovating Mikell Conference Center, and loan fund for area churches.
166The Young Churchman, 1887-1896
*Removed to oversize drawer, folder #4 Small newspaper presenting religious stories, sermons and news about various parishes/rectors
171Diocese of Atlanta-Journal of the Council
172Diocese of Atlanta-Journal of the Council
173Diocese of Atlanta-Journal of the Council
Diocese of Atlanta was formed in 1907 by dividing Georgia into two separate dioceses. The journal presents the same format as the Diocese of Georgia journal.
181Baptisms, 1949-1953
182Baptisms, 1954-1959
183Baptisms, 1960-1969
184Confirmations, 1957-1960
185Confirmations, 1953-1956
191Confirmations, 1957-1960
192Confirmations, 1961-1965
193Confirmations, 1966-1969
193Marriages, 1949-1969
194Burials, 1947-1955
195Burials, 1956-1969
201Memorial fund
202Diocese of Atlanta 13th Annual Council Meeting (journal), 1920
203Newcomers, 1958-1963
204Transfers (out), 1936-1952
205Transfers (out), 1953-1985
206Transfers (out), 1957-1959
211Transfers (out), 1960-1964
212Transfers (out), 1965-1969
213Transfers (in), 1945-1952
214Transfers (in), 1953-1957
215Transfers (in), 1959-1962
216Transfers (in), 1963-1969
22Record Book No. 1, 1834-1907
Contains the marriage, baptism, confimation, communicant and burial records for Trinity Episcopal Church.
22Record Book No. 2, 1904-1927
Contains index, rectors, communicants, baptisms, confirmation, marriages, burials, and list of families for Trinity Episcopal Church. Baptism information includes the parents, sponsors, birth place and date, baptism place and date, and minister. Burial records include the name, sex, age, last residence, date of death, cause (if known), place of interment, date of burial and minister.
23St. Mary's Parish Record Book, 1903-1911
Contains index, rectors, communicants, baptisms, confirmations, marriages (1902-1912), burials (1901-1913), and list of families.
23Record Book No. 3, 1928-1942
Trinity Episcopal Church records. Contains index, baptism, confirmation, marriage and burial records.
23Record Book No. 4, 1942-1953
Trinity Episcopal Church records. Contains, index, baptism, confirmation, burial (1942-1967), and marriage records (1942-June 1950).
23Personal Data Book, 1865-1936
Contains dates of birth, baptism, death, etc.
24Book of Common Prayer, 1662
Published 1891
24Register of Church Services, 1934-1952
Includes date, type of service, place, time, attendance numbers, communions, offering, name of celebrant or officiant and memoranda. Memoranda consists of notes about the weather or other items of note. After 1935 there are fewer notes and no offering is indicated. The front of the book gives the names of pastors during the interim beween Very Rev. Alson Wragg and Rev. Harry G. Walker.
24Register of Church Services, 1952-1955
24Register of Church Services, 1955-1957
24Register of Church Services, 1957-1961
24Register of Church Services, 1962-1968
25Records of Trinity Church, Columbus, Georgia, vol. 1, 1834-1907
Inside front cover contains a map of the Diocese of Georgia, 1905. This record contains the minutes for the first meetings in which Trinity Church was organized and the original by-laws. The vestry minutes from 1834 through 1907 are recorded here. There were pew rents for 1837-1839 recorded. Also in the record book is a copy of the Parish Record, vol. 1, no. 1, April 3, 1888.
26Records of Trinity Church, Columbus, Georgia, vol. 2
Contains the vestry minutes for 1907 through February, 1939. In the vestry minutes are the letters/reports regarding the resignation of Rev. Geoffrey C. Hinshelwood and a register of all people attending the centennial celebration of Trinity Church. Included with the centennial celebration records are letters from Rev. Clarence S. Wood and the Very Rev. S. Alston Wragg and an 18-page typed history of Trinity Church. Also in this record book are a copy of the Parish Record, vol. 1, no. 2, April 17, 1888 and the Trinity Record, vol. XIII, no. 6, September 1920.
27The Duplex Individual Record books, 1926-1931
The records indicate each church member's name, address, pledges made and the actual amounts of monies returned to Trinity Episcopal Church for the year indicated.
28Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1919-1920
28Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1920-1925
28Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1926-1927
29Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1928-1929
29Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1925-1931
29Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1930-1935
30Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1936-1944
30Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1945-1951
30Treasurer's Fund (Financial Records), 1951-1961
31General Fund, 1955-1961
31125th Anniversary Expansion Fund Scrapbook, 1959
31125th Anniversary Expansion Fund Journal, 1959-1973
2ARecords "The Young Churchman"
1ANewspaper articles
4BDeeds, Land Surveys, Abstract