Request Material





Men's Glee Club records (University of Georgia)

Men's Glee Club records (University of Georgia)

Descriptive Summary

Title: Men's Glee Club records (University of Georgia)
Creator: University of Georgia. Men's Glee Club
Inclusive Dates: 1967-1997
Language: English
Extent: 1.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Collection Number: UA20-005
Repository: University of Georgia Archives

Collection Description

Historical Note

The University of Georgia Men's Glee Club remains the oldest musical performing group on campus. It was first organized in 1890 by Charles H. Herty, who also organized UGA's first varsity football team, and it was first directed by John Pendleton Campbell. In 1926 Hugh Hodgson (for whom the UGA School of Music is Named) became the Glee Club's director and transformed it into a significant musical organization.

Byron Warner became the director in 1943 and took the group to new height, including a television appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Dr. Arant became the director in 1966 and greatly expanded the group's repertoire and became recognized as an expert on both men's choral repertoire and the male voice. Under his direction, the group traveled widely and made several recordings. Arant also used the Men's Glee Club as an educational tool for the development of the male singing voice and the composing of new repertoire.

Scope and Content

The collection documents the Men's Glee Club during the span of 1967-1997 when the club was under the directorship of Dr. E. Pierce Arant. Materials include correspondence, programs, rosters, and ephemera.


Administrative Information


Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

University of Georgia
University of Georgia. Men's Glee Club
University of Georgia. School of Music
Vocal music.

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
box
1MGC records, 1967-1997
 
box
2MGC records, 1967-1997