Request Material





University of Georgia memorabilia

University of Georgia memorabilia

Descriptive Summary

Title: University of Georgia memorabilia
Creator: University of Georgia
Inclusive Dates: 1803-1951
Language: English
Extent: 3 box(es)
Collection Number: UA11-043
Repository: University of Georgia Archives

Collection Description

Historical Note

The Mystic Seven Society was the first secret society formed at the University of Georgia. The Demosthenian Society was constituted on February 19, 1803, for the promotion of extemporaneous speaking. It is named after the Greek orator, statesman, and champion of democracy, Demosthenes. And the Phi Kappa Society is a debate organization founded in 1820 at University of Georgia. It is the second oldest Greek-lettered collegiate society in North America as well as a part of the oldest collegiate rivalry in the United States. Since its beginning, Phi Kappa has served as a training forum for many public leaders and first families of Georgia and throughout the South for public speaking.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of three boxes of memorabilia related to the history of the University of Georgia, including: a gavel made from wood of "Toombs Oak," bricks and nails from Old College; numerous scarves and ribbons from football games, graduations and class reunions; and various artifacts from the Mystic Seven Society, the Demosthenian Society, and the Phi Kappa Society.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

Previously housed in Hargrett Manuscripts as University of Georgia memorabilia, ms 226.

Preferred Citation

University of Georgia memorabilia, ua11-043, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries.

Finding Aid Publication

Finding aid prepared on: 2009 June 16.


Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

Georgia Bulldogs (Football team)
Memorabilia.
University of Georgia. Demosthenian Society
University of Georgia. Mystic Seven Society
University of Georgia. Phi Kappa Society

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
box
UA11-43:1Two hand-made nails from the roof of Old College
 
UA11-43:1Gavel made from wood of "Toombs Oak"
 
UA11-43:1University of Georgia Chapel steeple
 
UA11-43:1Red and black University of Georgia scarf
 
UA11-43:1Metal automobile tag for University of Georgia Sesquicentennial, 1951
 
UA11-43:1Class of 1899 beanie, flop hat, two arm bands from class reunion
 
UA11-43:1Class of 1908 "naughty eight" ribbon
 
UA11-43:1Class of 1920 two hats
 
UA11-43:1Class of 1921 reunion ribbon
 
UA11-43:1Thirteen hostess ribbons for class reunions with red and black satin bow corsage
 
UA11-43:1Plates of Dr. H.C. White and Terrell Hall
 
UA11-43:1Yale-Georgia football tickets, 1929
 
UA11-43:1Demosthenian ribbons
 
UA11-43:1University of Georgia pins
 
UA11-43:1Southern California -Georgia football game ribbon, 1931
 
box
UA11-43:2Eight bricks and fragments from Old College
the first permanent building to be erected on the University campus, begun 1801, completed 1804, from p.54 of the minutes of the Board of Trustees, Volume 1-" 1803 John Billups was given a contract to make 300,000 bricks at $7.50 per thousand for the erection of Old College"
 
box
UA11-43:3Mystic Seven Society pin (the first secret society formed at the University) Charles Seton Hardee, 1837
 
UA11-43:3Demosthenian pin-Edward D. Amos
 
UA11-43:3Demosthenian medal-David C. Barrow, circa 1871-1874
 
UA11-43:3Demosthenian medal-Matthias DeBerry Meriwether, 1856
 
UA11-43:3Demosthenian pin-James H. Neal, 1851
 
UA11-43:3Demosthenian Freshman Debate medal and Freshman Scholarship medal Wesley T. Hanson, 1901-1902
 
UA11-43:3Phi Kappa Society pin, 1820 (inscribed L. M. B.)
 
UA11-43:3Phi Kappa Society key-John Milledge, 1834
 
UA11-43:3Phi Beta Kappa key and class of 1900 pin-Hugh A. Huggins
with congratulatory letter from David C. Barrow
 
box
UA11-043:3Two fraternity pins and two medals with University seal-Oze Van Wyck