Request Material





100th Anniversary of the Lucy Cobb Institute program

100th Anniversary of the Lucy Cobb Institute program

Descriptive Summary

Title: 100th Anniversary of the Lucy Cobb Institute program
Creator: Lucy Cobb Institute (Athens, Ga.)
Inclusive Dates: 1958
Language: English
Extent: 1 box(es)
Collection Number: UA10-094
Repository: University of Georgia Archives

Collection Description

Historical Note

The Lucy Cobb Institute, a secondary school for young women in Athens, Georgia, was founded in 1859 by Thomas R. R. Cobb, a prominent lawyer and proslavery writer. Cobb had hoped his daughter, Lucy, would be able to attend the school but she died before it opened. The Institute's board decided to honor her by naming the school after her. One of the most noted teachers at the school was Mildred Lewis Rutherford, T.R.R. Cobb's niece. She taught at the school from 1880-1928, serving as principal during 23 of those years. The students, known as "Lucies", were educated in both the academics and gentility, perparing them for both private and public life. The school closed its doors in 1931 during the depression. In the 1980s and early 1990s the Lucy Cobb Institute was renovated with two appropriations from Congress and well as money private donations totaling over $5.5 million and is now included on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now the home of the Carl Vinson Institute of Government at UGA.

Scope and Content

This collection contains the 1958 program from the celebration of the school's 100th anniversary.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

100th Anniversary of the Lucy Cobb Institute program, UA10-094, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.

General Notes

RG 13


Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

Programs (documents)

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
boxfolder
11The 100th Anniversary of Lucy Cobb Institute Program