Request Material





Campus Landscaping plans

Campus Landscaping plans

Descriptive Summary

Title: Campus Landscaping plans
Creator: University of Georgia. Department of Landscape Architecture
Inclusive Dates: 1942-1956
Language: English
Extent: 1 oversize_folders
Collection Number: UA06-016
Repository: University of Georgia Archives

Collection Description

Historical Note

The famous Arch is located on historic North Campus. Centuries-old buildings including the Chapel, Old College, New College, the Law School and the Main Library, are nestled among majestic oaks on the original campus quadrangle. The Tate Student Center, the UGA Bookstore, and the heralded Sanford Stadium are located in the heart of campus. The South Campus area of the university is home to a variety of departments, mostly scientific and mathematical in nature. The two exceptions are Aderhold Hall, which houses the College of Education, and Tucker Hall, home to the School of Social Work. South Campus includes Science Row, which is home to a number of science classes; Conner Hall, home to the College of Agriculture and Environmental Science; and Boyd Graduate Research Center, home to the departments of mathematics and computer science and to the Graduate School Admissions Office. Two of UGA's professional schools, the College of Pharmacy and the College of Veterinary Medicine, are also located there. South Campus is also home to several athletic facilities, including Stegeman Coliseum and the Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall, home of the Athletic Association and a sports museum.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of several plans for the University of Georgia campus including: Plans for Suggested Walks and Boxwood Plantings, North Quad, Old Campus, 1942 by Hubert B. Owens; Old College Landscaping, 1943 by the Dept. of Landscape Architecture; Moore College, Meigs Hall, Harris Terraces, 1945 by the Dept. of Landscape Architecture; Old College Plaza and Walt to Jackson Street, 1946 by Edwin R. Kenny; Old College Plaza, 1947 by the Dept. of Landscape Architecture; Forecourt Plans for Pharmacy Building (New College), 1947 by Edwin R. Kenny; Herty Drive Gates at Broad Street Landscaping, undated, by Hubert B. Owens; Georgia Center for Continuing Education, 1956, plan annotated by Athens nurseryowner Charles Rowland III. Also included is Campus Map (General Plan, North and South Campuses), 1947 by B.C. Kinney.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Campus Landscaping plans, UA06-016, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.

General Notes

RG 3-5


Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

Architectural drawing -- Georgia -- Athens.
Colleges and universities -- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Athens.
Kenny, Edwin R.
Kinney, B. C.
Landscape architectural projects -- Georgia -- Athens.
Landscape design -- Georgia -- Athens.
Landscaping plans.
Maps (documents)
Owens, Hubert B.
Rowland, Charles
University of Georgia -- Maps

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
oversized_folderitem
11Plans for Suggested Walks and Boxwood Plantings, North Quad, Old Campus by Hubert B. Owens, 1942
 
12Old College Landscaping by Dept. of Landscape Architecture, 1943
 
13Moore College, Meigs Hall, Harris Terraces by Dept. of Landscape Architecture, 1945
 
14Old College, Plaza and Walk to Jackson Street by Edwin R. Kenny, 1946
 
15Old College Plaza by Dept. of Landscape Architecture, 1947
 
16Forecourt Plans for Pharmacy Building (New College) by Edwin R. Kenny, 1947
 
17Herty Drive Gates at Broad Street Landscaping by Hubert B. Owens, 1940s
 
18Georgia Center for Continuing Education plan annotated by Athen's nurseryowner Charles Rowland III, 1956
 
19Campus Map (General Plan, North and South Campuses) by B.C. Kinney, 1947