Request Material





Denmark Dining Hall artifacts

Denmark Dining Hall artifacts

Descriptive Summary

Title: Denmark Dining Hall artifacts
Creator: University of Georgia
Inclusive Dates: circa 1901-1935
Language: English
Extent: 0.75 Linear Feet (1 box)
Collection Number: UA0017
Repository: University of Georgia Archives

Collection Description

Historical Note

Denmark Dining Hall opened in 1901 and served in this capacity until it was converted to an academic building in 1950. The dining hall was commonly called the "Beanery". An annex opened in 1936 and served about 92 students in cafeteria style while the dining hall continued to serve approximately 250 students. In addition to serving as a dining hall, the "Beanery" was the site of many banquets and dances during its early years. The dining hall was named for Brantley Astor Denmark of Savannah, class of 1871, who was chosen to lead the first alumni fund raising effort in 1897. This fund raising campaign was successful in raising $40,000 which was later used toward the construction of Memorial Hall. At his untimely death in 1901 at age 51, the UGA officials chose to name the new dining hall in his honor due to his outstanding leadership and loyal support of the University.

Scope and Content

These artifacts were used to grace the dining tables in the early days of Denmark Dining Hall.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Denmark Dining Hall artifacts, UA0017, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.

General Notes

RG 3-8


Related Materials and Subjects

Subject Terms

Universities and colleges -- Georgia -- Athens.
University of Georgia. Food Services

Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
boxitem
111 China egg cup with "Denmark Hall" in gold letters
 
122 sterling silver salt shakers with a "D" engraved
 
132 small sterling silver compotes engraved with "D" on bottom and a cobalt blue glass insert
 
141 small silver pill box
 
151 small sterling bon-bon spoon
 
161 sterling silver "berry" spoon with enambled peach limbs on front handle and "D" engraved on back handle